eer points, Spezza is the second longest serving member of t
Matthias Mayer of Austria won the Olympic downhill in Sochi on Sunday. Cheap Nike Air Max Outlet UK . Mayer finished the Rosa Khutor course in 2 minutes, 6.23 seconds. Christof Innerhofer of Italy won silver and Kjetil Jansrud of Norway won bronze. Canadas Erik Guay finished 10th. Teammates Ben Thompson, Jan Hudec and Manuel Osborne-Paradis finished 19th, 21st and 25th respectively. Pre-race favorite Aksel Lund Svindal fourth and American Bode Miller finished eighth. Mayer was one of the first contenders to come down, with the No. 11 bib, and he hardly celebrated when he reached the finish. But his smile grew wider as all the favorites failed to catch him. Miller was one of the fastest skiers on the top section but lost speed when he hit a gate on a right turn a bit further down. "He pinched it off and went into the gate," Italian skier Dominik Paris said. "It was a critical section there." After crossing the finish, Miller sat down on his skis with a look of bewilderment on his face. That was understandable, considering that the American had dominated two of the three official training sessions. Svindal was also fast on top but lost speed when his large frame went soaring into the air over the big jumps lining the rest of the course. Mayer is short and compact and appeared more aerodynamic over the jumps. Mayeris one of the more surprising gold medalists in the sports marquee race, as he has never before finished better than fifth in a World Cup downhill. But Mayer led the second downhill training session and was third in the opening session. His father, Helmut, won a silver medal in the super-G at the 1988 Calgary Games. Mayer was not even supposed to be Austrias top contender but he was thrust into that position when Hannes Reichelt was sidelined with back surgery after winning the prestigious Kitzbuehel downhill on home snow two weeks ago. Ski-loving Austria has won more mens downhills at the Olympics than any other nation, six of 17, but the last came in 2002 from Fritz Strobl, who happens to be from the same region in southern Austria as Mayer. So is Franz Klammer, who won the 1976 Innsbruck Games downhill. Mayer has had more success in super-G, including a silver medal at the 2008 junior world championships and two second-place World Cup showings. Those super-G skills suited him well for the Olympic downhill course, which was extremely technical. At 3.5 kilometers (2.17 miles), the Rosa Khutor piste was also one of the most physically demanding tests skiers faced all season. With three big jumps, one of which sent skiers soaring into the air for 70 meters (yards), it provided for a spectacular race. However, the stands were only half full at the start due to an apparent traffic problem. They only filled up as the race wore on. Skies were cloudy and the temperature was slightly above freezing. The next event on the Alpine schedule is the womens super-combined Monday, followed by the womens downhill Wednesday. Wholesale Air Max UK . -- Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera has a broken bone below his right eye after being struck by a bad-hop grounder, sidelining the star slugger for at least a week with opening day on deck. Air Max UK Sale Outlet . Karlovic of Croatia used his big serve to beat Jiri Vesely of the Czech Republic 7-6 (6), 7-6 (7). Kohlschreiber had lost all of his three previous matches against Istomin but the German broke serve for a decisive 3-2 lead in the third set and held on to reach his first final of the year. http://www.wholesaleairmaxukoutlet.com/ . Milan was held to 1-1 at home by Torino. Cagliari scored six minutes from halftime when Mauricio Pinilla blasted home from the penalty spot after Facundo Roncaglia tripped Marco Sau. The home side could have doubled its tally in stoppage time as first Fiorentina defender Stefan Savic almost scored an own goal then Albin Ekdals shot clipped the top of the upright.OTTAWA -- The Ottawa Senators put an end to speculation and officially named Jason Spezza as its captain Saturday afternoon. The announcement came as no real surprise as Spezza was the odds-on favourite to take over the captaincy after Daniel Alfredsson chose to sign with the Detroit Red Wings as a free agent in July. "This is a huge honour for both myself and my family," said Spezza, as he read from a prepared statement. "Its something that is very important to me." Spezza becomes the eighth captain in franchise history and admitted wearing the "C" is a dream come true. "For me Ive always dreamed of being a captain," said Spezza, who missed most of last season with a back injury. "My main goal is to try to win the Stanley Cup and thats something that Ive always wanted. I take the game of hockey very seriously and I like being able to help my teammates. "I like being able to push myself and try to become a better player everyday." Being the face of the franchise is an honour and a challenge that Spezza says he is looking forward to. Spezza said that having had the opportunity to play alongside Alfredsson and experiencing the highs and lows of a professional career have allowed him time to grow as both a player and a person. "I feel like its come naturally, I feel like its not something thats been forced upon me and that gives me the confiidence to know that I can do a good job. Air Max Clearance Online. " With over 600 games and 621 career points, Spezza is the second longest serving member of the Senators. Chris Phillips, who was also in strong contention to take over the captaincy, holds the distinction of being the longest serving member. Phillips will remain an alternate captain, with Chris Neil joining the leadership group as the second alternate. Both Neil and Phillips were drafted by Ottawa and have spent their entire NHL careers with the Senators. "The Ottawa Senators have a history of strong leaders, strong captains and we believe that will continue today," said Senators general manager Bryan Murray. "This years team we believe will be one of the youngest if not the youngest in the NHL so having a strong leadership corps headed by our captains is going to be very, very critical if were going to be successful." Head coach Paul MacLean admitted the fact that Spezza has spent his entire career in Ottawa was a significant reason the team selected him as the new captain. The 30-year-old Spezza was the Senators first-round pick (second overall) in the 2001 NHL Draft. He has registered four 30-goal seasons and two 90-plus point campaigns. The Mississauga, Ont., native has represented Canada on six different occasions, and has earned five medals at various international tournaments throughout his career. China NFL Jerseys Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Online Stitched Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys Football Jerseys Outlet College Jerseys For Sale Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys For Sale Wholesale NFL Jerseys ' ' '
Odpowiedz

Skocz do:

Użytkownicy przeglądający ten wątek: 1 gości